Inspired by Mexico’s world happiness report ranking (they rank amongst the happiest people in the world), we’re taking cues from their adfmirable social well-being practices to untether from our routine and cultivate happiness in our own lives.
4 WAYS TO CULTIVATE SOCIAL WELL-BEING
COLLECT LITTLE JOYSQuality time doesn’t have to be an elaborate event. Try to work-in moments to connect with people on a daily basis.
- Find a coffee date before work
- Instead of sitting at your desk, have lunch with coworkers
- Take a break to have a 15 minute phone conversation with a friend
- Invite someone in your life to join you for happy hour or a workout class
- Allow yourself the time to cook dinner with your partner, friend, or family
- Opt to eat dinner and chat at the table instead of in front of the TV
MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND MAKE TIME FOR THEM
Consider reallocating the time spent on social media to join a community group that aligns with your passions and interests.
PRACTICE THE ART OF GIVING
Next time you’re feeling down, try giving someone your time or a thoughtful gift instead of buying or doing something for yourself. Repeat this practice and it will become second nature.
- Were you planning to bake a cake that will make you feel better? Give it to your neighbor
- Is your friend or family member having a bad week just like you? Postmates them their favorite treat
- Did you get a parking ticket? Refill meters that are about to expire
- Is your coworker overwhelmed by upcoming deadlines? See if there’s anything you can do and offer to help
USE LAUGHTER / HUMOR AS A STRESS COPING MECHANISM
Identify humorous sources that are guaranteed to make you laugh, or at least smile, and immediately go to them when you’re feeling stressed.
Untether from your routine to cultivate social well-being and inspire others to join