RECIPE: ACHIOTE PASTEYIELD: Makes ½ cup
PERFECT FOR: Tacos al pastor.
TIME: Approx. 15 mins
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup annatto seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican or Italian oregano
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
INSTRUCTIONS1. Blend cloves, bay leaf, annatto seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, oregano, peppercorns, and salt in a blender on low speed, increasing to high, until finely ground.
2. Add garlic, vinegar, lime zest, and orange zest and continue blending until a coarse paste forms. Transfer to a small airtight container and chill.
3. Do Ahead: Paste can be made 1 month ahead. Store in an airtight container and chill.